How to avoid cyber-scams on Black Friday
- Experts from the cybersecurity company have explained that following a guide of "good practices" for online shopping is essential to do it in a safe way.
November 25, 2021 - S2 Grupo, a company specialized in cybersecurity and critical systems management, has warned that due to the approaching dates in which online shopping and, therefore, cyber risks related to e-commerce increase considerably.
During the last two months of the year, we experience the most special dates in terms of online shopping volume, but this entails a risk. How much do Spaniards buy online? What cyber-risks are associated with ecommerce? What tips can we apply to avoid cyber-scams in online shopping? Pay attention to this article because we will answer all these questions.
The well-known Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Christmas are filled with discounts and offers to activate e-commerce, mainly. In this context, S2 Grupo has highlighted the importance of knowing the cyber risks associated with ecommerce in order to enjoy our purchases in a safe way.
"If we want to protect ourselves from cybercrime, we need to know what motivates them to act and how they operate. What they are looking for is money and personal data, basically, because precisely that information is also worth a lot. And as for their mode of action, we must bear in mind that they are increasingly creative and proceed through social engineering techniques", explained José Rosell, managing partner of S2 Grupo.
"Within this type of techniques, the best known is phishing. This consists of the cybercriminal impersonating a brand through an email, usually, and offering a super offer that is the hook to click on the link that is indicated to us and when we click, we have already fallen into their networks because that link is malicious and will install malware on our device. Being wary of huge discounts and not clicking on unknown links is essential. If we doubt, before accessing them, it is advisable to visit the brand's website directly and look for the offer from there," emphasized Miguel A. Juan, managing partner of S2 Grupo.
Together with phishing, experts from the cybersecurity company have highlighted other techniques that are increasingly used, such as:
- Smishing >> is a type of phishing that uses SMS messages, Whatsapp or other instant messaging applications as a channel.
- Vishing >> this uses the same technique but through telephone calls.
- Social Media Phishing >> it is becoming more and more common to see cases of identity theft in social networks.
- Pharming >> consists of the creation of a malicious web page created by the cybercriminal to supplant the original online store and leave our data and money there.
Good practices for online shopping
In any case, S2 Grupo has emphasized that knowing these risks should only help us to be cautious, be aware of the possible dangers and apply good practices for the use of ecommerce that allow us to make purchases through this channel in a safe way.
The fundamental keys to protected cyber-shopping are:
- Accessing the store's website manually. Putting directly its address in the search engine.
- Check the profiles of their official social networks to confirm that the offers are advertised and are real. If you can not find them, be suspicious quickly.
- Do not buy quickly on impulse and use common sense.
- Opt for secure payment methods.
- Confirm that the web begins its address with the security protocol "https".
- Question any message that reaches us with offers that are too large.
- Before buying it is advisable to check the opinions about the website, the payment methods, the tax data, etc.
- Use private Internet connections, do not buy from public WiFis and always have an active antivirus.